Being somewhat of a regular sewer, okay I admit I don’t actually sew as much as I would like. What I do more often than not is shop for fabric, buy and save patterns, and project ideas but that’s where it stops until around this time of year. When I start making a list of gifts to sew, the first thing that comes to mind is how can I use all of my fabric scraps. I have scraps like many of you from single patches to one yard. Like your fellow sewers, parting with these little beauties rarely happens so that pile continues to grow (sometimes out of control). Since Christmas is under a month away, now is a good time to put those scraps to good use and make way for the new.
I pulled together a short list of projects that will give you some great ideas for gift giving and uses for scraps of fabric. The best part of these projects is that they don’t require more than a yard of fabric and as always don’t require a great deal of sewing skill. I’m certain you’ll find gift ideas for everyone on your list that they will love!
Here is a rundown projects:
1. Coin Purse – No more loose change floating around in the bottom of their bags.
2. Kid’s Apron – Perfect for holiday baking, arts and crafts, and keeping the little one’s clothes clean (we can dream!)
3. Cosmetic Bags – Small enough to take it anywhere and for make -up essentials!
4. Burp Cloths – New Year’s baby on the way?
5. Dolls – These dolls are too cute! Who wouldn’t love one?
6. Bow Tie – Just in time for holiday parties and a night on the town.
7. 5 Minute Pillows – Add a unique piece to someone’s home or holiday decor.
8. Tote Bag – Yes, another tote bag tutorial but who couldn’t use a reusable bag.
9. Wine Bottle Bag – The perfect gift for the host/hostess.
10. Dish Towels – A useful gift but maybe too pretty to actually use?
Goodness! There are so many amazing projects out there I could add to this list all day but duty calls. I’ll compile a bigger list in another post.
Do you have a list of go-to sewing projects for gift giving?
Until next time…
Kesha is our resident expert on fabric, sewing, and fun DIY projects. She writes about sewing, patterns, and fun projects. She also likes to write about local events featuring fabric, design inspiration, and more.